- Environmentally sustainable, climate resilient and green economic growth is an established development priority of the Government of Rwanda. Since 2005, Rwanda has worked to operationalise a sustainable financing mechanism in order to achieve these objectives, known as the ‘National Fund for Environment’ – FONERWA. As a national fund, FONERWA is both an instrument to facilitate direct access to international environment and climate finance, as well as to streamline and rationalise external aid and domestic finance. The fund invests in the best public and private projects that have the potential for transformative change and that align with Rwanda’s commitment to building a strong green economy. The Green Fund also provides expert technical assistance to ensure the success of its investments.
The requested consultancy services under this tender shall provide institutional support through on-the-job training, coaching and mentoring of FONERWA in managing the Facility and in overseeing the implementation of projects through Implementing Partners (IPs). Key tasks include support in Fund Management of the overall Facility and Technical planning (on demand). To ensure the successful implementation of services, interested consulting firms must tailor their project implementation approach to respond to the requirements of the Rwandan context.
FONERWA now intends to engage an international consulting firm in association with a local consulting firm with profound international experience in the above-mentioned areas of support and with experience in relevant NDC aspects on one hand, and in grant management in compliance with international best practice, on the other hand. Besides being experienced in working in Rwanda and the Region (Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda) under similar conditions, experts shall have significant experience in working outside of their country of origin.
Long-term key support services to be provided by a team of international experts comprise the following areas of expertise:
- Grant management with experience in program coordination (Team Leader)
- Legal with focus on compliance work
- Project management
- Environmental, Social, Health and Safety (ESHS)
- Social infrastructure engineering
Short-term on demand key support services to be provided by a team of national or international experts comprise the following areas of expertise, but are not limited to:
- Climate change and mitigation adaptation
- Climate smart agriculture
- (Social) infrastructure planning and construction supervision
- Green urban development
- (Renewable) energy
- Water and sanitation
- Roads and transport