- The automotive industry is the largest industry sector in Germany. In 2018, the auto sector listed turnover of EUR 426.2 billion – around 20 percent of total German industry revenue.
- Germany is Europe’s number one automotive market, accounting for around 30 percent of all passenger cars manufactured (5.12 million) and approximately 20 percent of all new car registrations (3.43million).
- One in every five cars worldwide carries a German brand.
- Germany is home to 40 automobile assembly and engine production plants with a capacity of over one third of total automobile production in Europe.
- In 2017, Germany’s domestic internal automotive industry R&D expenditure rose 17 percent to EUR 25.7 billion – equivalent to 37 percent of total R&D expenditure in Germany.
- Sixteen of the world’s top 100 automotive suppliers are German companies.*
- Around 78 percent of cars produced in Germany in 2018 were ultimately destined for international markets – a new record.
- More than 40 percent of patent registrations in Germany originate from the automotive industry.
- R&D personnel within the German automobile industry reached around 126,400 in 2018. Around 833,900 are employed in the industry as a whole.
Source: VDA 2019
* Source: Crain Communications 2017