Industry Numbers: Gas in Transition
You can find this fragment in the following contexts:
- Rising gas consumption predicted; annual growth rate: 2.2% until 2040
- Germany as a net gas importer: 89 BCM in 2018, equals 95% of total demand
- German (Europe’s largest) natural gas market over USD 200 bn in 2018, LNG share of less than 1 percent is 94.5% dependent on pipeline imports.
- German production is in steady state of decline: from 20% of it national consumption in 2000 to around 5% in 2018.
- Biggest growth segments: power generation, district heating and mobility.
- European Union’s gas demand: ~500 Billion m³ (BCM) in 2017
- European domestic production, current 30% of EU consumption, has started a descent. By 2030, EU production will account for < 10 percent of its demand.