Gaming and related services are a major industry in Germany with revenues considerably higher than those of, for example, the film industry. In-game purchases have overtaken the simple purchase of single games in recent years. The revenues from online services also show strong growth and have doubled in 2018. Casual gaming, social gaming, and free-to-play MMO (massively multi-player online) games are driving this growth. The rising number of smartphones in Germany has resulted in increasing demand for mobile games – opening up completely new customer groups.
Games: The gaming market is growing at a fast pace. Germany remains Europe’s largest and most attractive games market.
- Germany has the most internet users in Europe, creating significant potential for business.
- More than 34 million Germans play video games online, on smartphones, TVs, consoles and handhelds.
- In 2018, the German gaming market generated total turnover of EUR 4.4 billion.
- Almost EUR 1.8 billion was spent on in-game purchases.
- Germans purchased games (online and offline) for EUR 1.1 billion.
- Some EUR 353 million was spent on online services such as Playstation Plus and Origin Access.